1.1.23

Diorama, vignette, or room box?

During the holidays, I was reading the December issue of DollsHouse and Miniature Scene and noticed that the articles in the magazine used only the words diorama and vignette when referring to a miniature scene created somewhere other than in an actual box. I found definitions for both the words in Wikipedia and indeed, diorama is the more approriate choice for a mini scene.

When I've talked about my hobby to native English speakers who are not a miniature enthusiasts and know nothing about the subject, they often ask me to describe what a room box exactly means. I've thought it's about them not knowing much about miniatures but maybe I've been in the wrong all along. Perhaps I've been the one using the wrong term.

What do you think - should the use of room boxes [as a word] be entirely discarded and diorama used instead?

Lumilyhty tontuille

Would you call this a diorama? By the way, you can see the snow lantern received in the calendar swap in the upper right corner of the scene.

Regardless of what the correct term is, dear readers, this is definitely a fun and creative hobby. Let's enjoy it and keep on making minis and sharing ideas, tutorials, and photos of them also in the coming year.

A Happy New Year 2023!

No comments: